Online Physiotherapy & Tele-Rehabilitation Vancouver
Online Physiotherapy and Tele-Rehab is available from the physiotherapists and kiniesiologists who are comfortable using this technology.
We offer online services for:
- Clinical Pilates
- Active Rehabilitation
Our physiotherapists, kiniesiologists and clinical pilates physios are ready to work with you on the following:
- Musculoskeletal issues caused by an activity of daily living, a sport injury, a training error, a motor vehicle accident
- Pelvic floor conditions
- Clinical pilates for movement retraining
- Getting started on an exercise program
- Virtual Running Assessments
You can expect the same level of expert care using this service as you would expect from any of our other services.
What is it?
- Tele-rehabilitation is the use of information or communication technologies to allow you and your physiotherapist to connect via audio and/or video to receive physiotherapy services at a distance when an in-person visit is not possible
- Treloar Physiotherapy Clinic utilizes ‘Physitrack’ an app that allows you to chat 1 on 1 with your physiotherapist over a video call. You will be provided with information on how to download the app or otherwise access the video session prior to your appointment
- You can be in the comfort of your own home and have the same high-quality expertise provided to you as if you came into the clinic
Why do I need it?
- Tele-rehabilitation is quick and convenient. Those who travel around BC or who has trouble fitting in face to face appointments will benefit significantly from online appointments
- You will save time by having your physiotherapy appointment conducted wherever you are, instead of having to get to the clinic
- Those who have difficulty leaving their homes or who are at risk in the community will particularly benefit from the privacy and safety that tele-rehabilitation offers
What issues is it appropriate for?
- Most issues are appropriate for tele-rehabilitation, if more information is required from a physical examination your physiotherapist will discuss this with you
- Tele-rehabilitation is particularly helpful when you require an expert opinion for acute injury management, to answer questions regarding your current treatment plan, to modify program you’re having issues with, or to progress exercises to continue improving
- Tele-rehabilitation may be appropriate to have new issues initially and quickly assessed so you can start feeling better, faster, without having to have an in person appointment. However, some issues do require an in-person assessment to best understand your needs
- The service can help you access physiotherapy services that are not available in your community or allow for consultation between your physiotherapist and another health care provider
- Individuals who wish to work with a physiotherapist for concussions, active aging, pelvic health concerns and exercise based treatments will find tele-rehabilitation particularly helpful and convenient
What issues is it not appropriate for?
- Tele-rehabilitation provided through Treloar Physiotherapy Clinic is only available for those present in British Columbia at the time of their session
- At times tele-rehabilitation is insufficient to fully address your goals and an in-person session will be required to gather all the information necessary to meet your individual needs. In this case, a face to face follow up will be suggested by your physiotherapist
Will it be the same quality of care I’d get in person?
- Absolutely! Physiotherapists are required to meet the same Standards of Practice regardless of how physiotherapy services are delivered, so in short – yes! You will receive the same expert care as if you were seeing someone in person
- Most of what happens in physiotherapy clinic includes your physiotherapist asking you tons of questions and getting you to do some movements to help diagnose and understand your issue. There are only a handful of things that cannot be performed over a video session. If the issue needs further assessment, you will be told as much and can follow up in person when it suits you.
- A substantial part of a physiotherapist’s role in injury management is education and exercise prescription, both of which are perfectly suited to tele-rehabilitation. The quality of this information will be no different than an in-person session
What kind of treatment is provided?
- Examples of services that can be provided by tele-rehabilitation include, but are not limited to, education and instruction, monitoring your progress with a treatment program, and supervised exercise or meetings with your health-care team. Hands-on treatment by your physiotherapist is not possible during a tele-rehabilitation session but in-person sessions can be arranged if appropriate
- Conditions where education and management are paramount, such as concussions or pelvic health concerns, will have a great deal of treatment available over tele-rehabilitation
What are the risks?
- The main risk for tele-rehabilitation is regarding personal privacy. Please know that all information is securely stored and remains part of your clinical chart, which is protected by law to remain confidential
- If any physical injury or medical emergency should occur during your session, your physiotherapist will act appropriately to alert the necessary people including your emergency contact and first-responders (911)
Will my personal information be protected and secure?
- All personal information you provide is confidential and is stored securely just as it would be if you attended an in-person physiotherapy session. In fact, Treloar Physiotherapy Clinic uses the same software in the clinic as we do for tele-rehabilitation
- No part of the video session will be recorded or stored
What is required of me?
- A quiet, private space, free of distractions
- Headphones are helpful to ensure privacy and clarity of audio, however they are not required
- Access to an Android or iOS device with the PhysiApp application downloaded on it (information will be sent prior to your session)
- Space to move
How do I pay?
- Payment is due at the time of your appointment via credit card
- Your physiotherapist will input your credit card information into our online booking and billing software, Jane App, on your first appointment. The information will be securely stored and the number obscured.
- The credit card will only be used to process payment for tele-rehabilitation sessions
- A receipt will be emailed to you upon payment which can be submitted to your insurance company
Getting Ready for your Tele-Rehab Appointment
There are a few items that we want to prepare you for so our session runs smoothly, and we can optimize our time together.
There are 2 device options you can choose from to conduct the appointment:
Option 1: PhysiApp on your smart phone or tablet
* For current or previous PhysiApp users:
1. Your practitioner will send you an email link prior to your session. Click on this link and it will take you directly to the program page on PhysiApp. If it does not automatically sign you in, go to the app directly and sign in as directed in the new user instructions in Step 4 for New Users below.
2. Wait for the video-call from your practitioner. Ensure your microphone and audio is turned on so you can hear the ring.
3. Your video-call will open in a new window.
4. You will now be asked to provide Consent.
* For new users to PhysiApp:
1. Go to the app store and search “PhysiApp”.
2. Download the app.
3. Your practitioner will send you an email link prior to your session. Click on this link and it will take you to the login page.
4. Enter your Activation Code and Year of Birth and click on “Access your program”. Your activation code can be found on the email your practitioner sent you titled “PhysiApp program code”.
5. Wait for the video-call from your practitioner. Ensure your microphone and audio is turned on so you can hear the ring.
6. Your video-call will open in a new window.
Option 2: PhysiApp on your computer (using Google Chrome or Firefox)
* For current or previous PhysiApp users:
1. Your practitioner will send you an email link prior to your session. Click on this link and it will take you directly to the program page on PhysiApp (www.physiapp.com). If it does not automatically sign you in, follow the new user instructions in Step 2 for New Users below.
2. Wait for the video-call from your practitioner. Ensure you microphone and audio is turned on so you can hear the ring.
3. Your video-call will open in a new window.
* For new PhysiApp users:
1. Your practitioner will send you an email link prior to your session. Click on this link and it will take you to the PhysiApp login page (www.physiapp.com).
2. Type in the Program Code and your Year of Birth and click on “Access your Program”. The program code is provided in the email from your practitioner.
3. Wait for the video-call from your practitioner. Ensure your microphone and audio is turned on so you can hear the ring.
4. Your video-call will open in a new window.
Using PhysiApp we’ll be able to do a face-to-face video. If there are challenges with connection or technology, we can change this to a phone call.
Key Points for a Successful Session:
1. Think about the angle of your camera during the call.
2. Ensure you have enough space to move and perform exercises (as needed). Also ensure your camera can be angled to focus on the relevant part of your body during the exercise.
3. Conduct your call in a quiet, private environment without distractions.
4. Ensure the best quality audio, so test that the microphone on your computer works.
5. Wear comfortable clothing or gym clothes to be able to assess and/or perform exercises so that time is not wasted in changing clothing mid-appointment.