Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy Vancouver
Pelvic floor dysfunction affects both men and women and is more common than you may think. Our Pelvic Floor Physiotherapists at both our Cambie & Kerrisdale locations help to treat and resolve many pelvic health disorders.
If you have experienced any of the following symptoms, Pelvic Floor Therapy can help!
- Leakage when you cough / sneeze / laugh or exercise?
- No longer run because of unpleasant wetness?
- Visit the bathroom more frequently than you used to ?
- Not always make it to the bathroom?
- Have pain in the pelvic area, perineum and or tailbone that is affecting your quality of life?
- Have genital / vaginal pain affecting your sex life?
- Have reduced sexual sensation?
- Struggle with constipation / difficult bowel movements?
- Have bulging / heaviness in the perineum?
Your initial session will involve a detailed history and assessment of your posture and pelvic mechanics. An internal exam is normally carried out (either vaginal and/or rectal) to assess the strength of the pelvic floor muscles. This is a digital exam only (no speculum) but it is not necessary if you have acute pain or are uncomfortable with that part of the assessment. A treatment plan will be tailored for you involving advice, exercises, posture correction, manual therapy to the pelvis and internal muscles and possibly acupuncture or electrotherapy.
As well as proven to be very beneficial during and after pregnancy to optimize birthing and prevention of postpartum issues, Pelvic Floor Therapy is also useful in treating:
- Pelvic, tailbone or lower back pain
- Stress Urinary Incontinence (Leaking)
- Overactive bladder (Urgency)
- Nocturia (having to urinate throughout the night)
- Fecal Incontinence
- Sexual pain or dysfunction
- DRA – Diastasis rectus abdominus (separated stomach muscles)
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse (a descent of one of the pelvic organs into the vaginal space)
- Coccydynia – painful tailbone
- Vestibulodynia / Vulvodynia / Vaginismus / Vestibulitis (pain syndromes in the vaginal region)