The GLA:D Canada Program
Based on Good Life with Osteoarthritis in Denmark (GLA:D®), the GLA:D Canada program is a nationwide evidence-based initiative that follows the current recommendations for the treatment of hip and knee osteoarthritis.
It is a 7 week education and exercise program for individuals with stiff and/or painful knees and/or hips or individuals with knee and/or hip osteoarthritis.
This initiative is supported by Bone and Joint Canada, The Arthritis Society, and the Physiotherapy Association of BC.
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
- Feeling of instability, looseness, or giving way
- Stiffness especially in the morning or after sitting for long periods
- Reduced motion in the joint
- Pain when standing or walking
- Pain while at rest
- Red, hot or swollen joints
GLA:D has been shown to have the potential to improve the quality of life of people living with mild, moderate, and severe osteoarthritis of the knee and/or hip. Some noted benefits include:
- Reduction in pain
- Decreased use of pain medications
- Increased participation in daily activities
- Reduction in time off work may delay or prevent the need for surgery
All assessment, education, and exercise sessions are provided by a registered Kinesiologist with GLA:D Canada certification. Referral or X-rays are not required. An assessment will be done to determine your suitability for the program.
*Available at our Cambie & 8th location